Monday, February 28, 2011

working for the weekend

well the weekend was pretty fantastic. i wished alex off on his camping trip and sat down to enjoy my pizza. totino's party pizza, to be exact. i'm about as fancy as it comes. i enjoyed an evening of pizza and popcorn, knitting, and movies. not to mention plenty of snuggle time with the puppies. i was especially proud of gandalf for not going into moping mode, in which he stares at the door for hours, waiting for alex to come home. uzi, on the other hand, couldn't have been happier. the second alex left she ran in and jumped on his pillow for a nap. she knows when to get him back for his tail-pulling.

saturday i woke up unusually early for me- i didn't even go to bed at 9 like on a normal friday. i did my usual lounge/tv time, and held off on my run until alex got home/left again. they rode in around 11 and spent some time stretching their legs after their 30 mile bike ride from the lake. i made a mock risotto for lunch. pure deliciousness. and healthy. best of both worlds. not party pizza, but pretty good.

alex headed off for the monster truck rally. that's right. plus they had pit passes, so they got to enjoy grave digger up close. who's jealous? no one? oh. well apparently it was really fun and loud and awesome in every possibly way. we have the videos to prove it.

so while alex enjoyed his monster trucks, i headed off on my run. i was motivated, i was excited, and i was severely under hydrated. i realized this about a mile in. i ran around the university near my house. my friend joy was working at the birthing center across the street. i considered running in for some water, or at least some ice chips, but realized that if joy was there, that meant there was a birth. and while i assumed that the birth was not taking place immediately inside the door, it was occurring nearby. i also assumed the mother wouldn't appreciate me intruding on her because i was hot while she pushed another human out of her. so i kept running.

i managed to talk myself into shooting for 7. i originally wanted 8 or more, but the heat/humidity/lack of water kept me from it. as i rounded the corner across the street from the baseball park, i realized that with the games going on that day, there had to be water. i took some weird turns and paths around the fences as i spotted the water fountain. i was a few yards from the miracle that would rejuvenate me and push me back into my 8+ goal range. a guy had just made it to the fountain when i got there, giving me the perfect amount of time to arrive without missing a step. he pushed on the button. he pushed the button the smaller fountain. he looked sad. then i remembered that it's february. a couple weeks ago the wind chill was -9. they turn the water fountains off in february so they don't freeze. plus no one gets thirsty in february. who cares that it's texas and one week it's 5 degrees outside and the next it's 80. literally. so i sadly made my loop back to my house. i downed as much water as i could without drowning myself.

i got cleaned up and repeated the events of the previous night (minus the popcorn and pizza). alex got home not too long after i got in bed and at least filled me in that the rally was awesome. we went to church early the next morning for a relationship conference thing they had. it was fine. we only went to two sessions. the first one seemed like he spent half of the time in an introduction, and the rest was pretty broad. the second session was like the normal service him as a guest speaker. much better, much more to the point. helped me remember to look at the big picture. i'm really good at helping other people do that, but in my own life, every single event seems important or catastrophic.

we came home and took the puppies on a much needed walk. they had a blast. saw some dogs twice their size (4 times uzi) that they were pretty sure they could take. i dropped them off at home and headed out for a quick run, nothing fancy, just something to say i moved. alex brought me home some cheetos puffs as a reward for my efforts. so that, mixed with the donuts for breakfast, light lunch and more popcorn, seemed to be turning into a pretty healthy day...

i headed to work my retail job that night after hours. felt good that i didn't make an idiot of myself by setting the wrong table or taking forever. i got a lot done and we finished early. the girls were heading out to applebees for a drink to say goodbye to one of the managers. they peer pressured me into joining them for one drink. i'm happy to say i kept it to one drink. however, the appetizer i ordered was not shared among the table like we discussed. instead i ate all 900 calories of chips and salsa that they brought me. fail.

needless to say, i woke up to a couple extra pounds this morning. luckily, after my dehydrated long run, i shed a few extra pounds the day before. still on the decline. i'm meeting up with one of my friends tomorrow over mexican food, so the plan today is to get in as much running as i can. the good news is that it's going to be beautiful today so i think i can make the most of it. i'm praying for another day like last monday where i feel like i can run forever. the goal will be at least 5, hopefully closer to 7 or 8. i need to lose anything i can now before tomorrow's indulgences and this weekend's completely lack of control. as of a couple hours ago, the hotel is booked and the plans are made. let the countdown to austin begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment